Smoking Cessation for Pregnancy and Beyond: Learn Proven Strategies to Help Your Patients Quit
New! Update* due in Fall 2011!
- Completely web-based. Nothing to download and install.
- Latest information about effective office interventions, abbreviated 5 A's, quit lines.
- Updated presentation on pharmacotherapy and patient counseling.
- New simulated patient showing abbrieviated 5 A's.
- Up to 6 hours of CME credit.
by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
to the Prevention Research Center at Dartmouth College.
This program, based on the "Virtual Practicum" model, is intended for health care providers who will be assisting their female patients in quitting smoking, in particular, patients who are pregnant or in their child-bearing years.
Dr. Sharon Phelan is your host and mentor as you counsel and assist three sets of simulated patients to quit smoking. In addition to teaching the principles of the 5 A's intervention, these interactive cases provide the learner an opportunity to explore the broader psychosocial dimension of cessation counseling. Smoking Cessation for Pregnancy and Beyond supplies strategies for implementing optimal and efficient office systems to support smoking cessation counseling and documentation.
This program offers various learning tools, including:
- Interactive case simulations and comprehensive discussions of the patient visits.
- Mini-lectures on relevant topics from leading experts, including former Surgeon General Dr. C. Everett Koop and Dr. Neil Benowitz.
- Interviews with real patients who have quit
- A dedicated web site of pertinent links and office resources
This requires that you have a high-speed Internet connection.
The CD-ROM version of this program is available for purchase through The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
Smoking Cessation for Pregnancy and Beyond: Online Resources
To contact us with questions or thoughts regarding program content, please e-mail: quitsmoking(AT)dartmouth(DOT)edu.